Exhibition Space at Arts Network Ottawa
Guidelines & 2020 Season Application Form
Arts Network Ottawa welcomes emerging and established visual artists of all ages to submit proposals for exhibitions in the Exhibition Space at Arts Network Ottawa. This non-traditional space, which includes the foyer and meeting area, provides an opportunity for local emerging artists to participate in a juried exhibition season. Juried-in artists will also have access to professional development workshops and tools to help them prepare for their exhibition.
Note: the Exhibition Space at Arts Network Ottawa is only open to the public during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm, and during Meet the Artist events.
Individual, duo, group and artist collectives are encouraged to apply. The exhibition space can accommodate 2D and 3D works.
Deadline: Thursday, January 30, 2020, at 5 p.m. Info-session on January 9th at Arts Network Ottawa.
All applicants must:
- reside within a 75 km radius of Ottawa’s borders
- be a member in good standing with Arts Network Ottawa – not a member? Click here to learn more.
- have dedicated a minimum of two years to their artistic practice
- priority will be given to those who have not exhibited at the Shenkman Arts Centre or at the Arts Network Ottawa Exhibition Space in the past three (3) years.
Criteria for selection
Applications will be reviewed by a jury of arts professionals. The criteria for selection are:
- the potential impact on the artist’s career
- appropriate use of medium
- consistent style or theme
- knowledge of the elements and principles of art
- appropriate use of the Exhibition Space
Solo or Duo Exhibits
- Artists should provide a selection of at least 20 pieces, or sufficient works to fill the space
- Artists can apply to exhibit as a duo, group or collective
- If a solo artist does not have enough works to fill the space, Arts Network Ottawa can pair said artist with another willing applicant
- A duo, group or collective show will be promoted and displayed as a single exhibition. If you are willing to be paired with another artist, or apply as a duo/group show, you will be required to select a single exhibition name
- Umbrella organizations (incorporated or not) and artist collectives are eligible.
- Similarly to duo exhibitions, a group’s exhibit will be promoted and displayed as a single exhibition.
- The group should assign one main contact, who will be responsible for coordinating the exhibition with Arts Network Ottawa. They will also be responsible for overseeing the delivery and pickup of works, signing the contract, hanging and installation, and for returning to the artists any pieces remaining after the pick-up day.
- If groups would like to present awards during the Meet the Artist event, the group will be responsible for selecting the winner(s) once the exhibition is hung.
- Groups are responsible for selecting the artworks that will be on display for their group exhibition.
Groups or collectives who wish to exhibit in our Exhibition Space must be an organization member of Arts Network Ottawa. Individual artists within the group or collective are required to be members.
Advertising & Promotion
Arts Network Ottawa will create branded promotional materials for print and social media to promote all exhibits.
Arts Network Ottawa will advertise to its Members and subscribers through email, the Arts Network Ottawa website, social media, and the Shenkman Arts Centre website. Artists are encouraged to take full advantage of and the promotional materials provided by Arts Network Ottawa. Arts Network Ottawa expects artists to promote their exhibits to their fullest capabilities.
By submitting a proposal for exhibition, Arts Network Ottawa is authorized to use images(s) of submitted work, or any part of the image(s), for promotional purposes.
- 2D pieces must be ready to hang.
- 2D pieces may be framed or left unframed if appropriate for the piece (supports should be discussed with Arts Network Ottawa).
- If artists require the use of plinths to display 3D artwork, Arts Network Ottawa can provide them on a case-by-case basis.
- The exhibition space can accommodate a variety of canvas sizes.
- All submissions must include 10 images of artwork intended for exhibition. These images must be submitted as digital .jpeg or .jpg files and give a clear sense of the exhibit.
- Works presented in the submission are expected to be on display.
Hanging of Artwork
- Arts Network Ottawa is responsible for all hangings and installations.
- Arts Network Ottawa reserves the right to select or refuse any submitted artwork.
- Artwork is to be delivered and picked up at a time specified by Arts Network Ottawa and agreed upon by the artist(s), typically during office hours.
- Artist must provide a list of works on display, including the title, medium, dimensions and price before the show opens.
- Arts Network Ottawa will prepare labels for the artworks.
- Exhibition Space Floor-plan
A ‘Meet the Artist/Vernissage’ event(s) will be scheduled to take place on a Sunday afternoon from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m., or during a weekday evening from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m., and will coincide with other vernissages and events taking place in the Shenkman Arts Centre. The artist is welcome to lead an ‘Artist Talk’ about their work or prepare any other additional programming. The artist must advise the Exhibition Space coordinator if they are planning any additional programming during the Meet the Artist event (music, performance etc.)
Arts Network Ottawa will provide a table and tablecloth. The artist is responsible for providing the refreshments of their choice (i.e. desserts, fruits, cheese, crackers, juices etc.) The artist is also responsible for providing any required plates, cups, cutlery and napkins. Due to other events happening during Meet the Artists, vernissages are to be alcohol-free.
Meet the Artist Dates in 2020:
Sunday, March 22, 1:00 to 3:00 pm
Sunday, April 26, 1:00 to 3:00 pm
Sunday, May 24, 1:00 to 3:00 pm
Sunday, June 21, 1:00 to 3:00 pm
Thursday, July 23, 7:00 to 9:00 pm
Thursday, August 27, 7:00 to 9:00 pm
Sunday, Sept 27, 1:00 to 3:00 pm
Sunday, Oct 25, 1:00 to 3:00 pm
Arts Network Ottawa collects a 15% commission on all sales made through the exhibition space. Sold artwork must remain in the Exhibition Space until the end of the show. The artist can arrange for the buyer to pick-up the artwork at or after the close of the exhibition.
Process: Arts Network Ottawa is responsible for facilitating the sale of artwork and handling all payment transactions. Payments can be made in cash, by cheque, debit or credit. Arts Network Ottawa will communicate the sale to the artist and is responsible for paying the artist the amount owed for the sale within 30 days of the close of the exhibit.
Works of art exhibited in the Exhibition Space are covered by Arts Network Ottawa’s insurance policy while they are in the Exhibition Space. Arts Network Ottawa’s insurance policy does not cover artworks in transit to and from the Exhibition Space. Therefore, artists are encouraged to carry their own insurance policies.
How to Apply
For more information about the exhibition space, please contact Alex Maltby, Program Manager at: firstname.lastname@example.org, 613.580.2767.
Become a member today
And receive many member-only benefits and services including the opportunity to participate in the Exhibition Space at Arts Network Ottawa. For the full listing of benefits of membership to Arts Network Ottawa, click the Join the Network button today:
The Exhibition Space at Arts Network Ottawa 2020 Season is generously sponsored by: