About the Program
Mentorship is a valuable and sought after means of professional development. The Ottawa Arts Mentorship Program will connect 15 emerging and 15 established artists and arts administrators in mentor-mentee relationships, expanding knowledge, skills, and networks. Mentorships will run February 2020 – July 2020.
We Are Currently Seeking:
- Leaders and professionals currently working in the Ottawa arts sector interested in becoming mentors for both emerging and mid-career arts professionals. Mentors will be compensated $25/h.
- Both emerging and mid-career arts professionals interested in becoming mentees. Successful applicants will receive a stipend during their mentorship.
- Already established mentor-mentee pairings interested in participating together
• Foster career development and advancement of professional artists and arts administrators in the emerging and mid-career stages of their careers.
• Support newcomer artists and arts administrators who are new to the Ottawa region and Canada.
• Address succession planning for long-term development of Ottawa’s cultural sector, and help cultivate the next generation of arts professionals.
DECEMBER 31 2019: Application deadline
JANUARY 2020: Mentorships Selected
FEBRUARY 2020: Kick-off and orientation event (attendance mandatory), mentorships begin
JULY 2020: Mentorships conclude
Become a Mentee
Emerging, Early-Career Mentorship
Are you an emerging, early-career artist or arts administrator with 5 or less years of experience in your career? Your mentorship will focus on specific topics identified by you to establish and grow your practice. This will take place over 30 hours of 1-on-1 mentorship over a 2 month (minimum) to 6 month (maximum) timeframe, February-July 2020.
Are you an established, mid-career artist or arts administrator with 5 or more years of experience in your career? Your mentorship will focus on professional development and goals identified by you to advance your career. This will take place over 50 hours of 1-on-1 mentorship over a 6 month timeframe, February-July 2020.
EXAMPLES: embarking on a new project, entering management positions, etc.
Become a Mentor
Are you a leader and professional artist or arts administrator working in the Ottawa community? Do you identify as a mentor, or have experience with mentor-mentee training? Becoming a mentor is a rewarding experience and way to give back to your community and the next generation of arts professionals. In a mentee-driven partnership, the mentee determines the pace, route and destination. The mentor is then able to offer insights and counsel that is focused on the mentee’s objectives. Mentors will receive compensation of $25/hour, and attend a training/info session in January 2020, prior to the mentorships (February-July 2020).
How to Apply
- We welcome artists and arts professionals of all disciplines, backgrounds, and career levels to apply.
- All applicants must live in the Ottawa region (within a 75km radius) and be 20 years or older.
- We encourage and will give priority to underrepresented artists who self-identify as First Nations, Inuit, Metis, Francophones, 2SLGBTQ+, New Canadians, People with Disabilities, Racialized People and Rural Residents.
- If applying online is a barrier, please contact Arts Network Ottawa for alternative arrangements (written or oral applications).
- We encourage applicants to apply in pairs, or identify a proposed mentor.
*Arts Network Ottawa recognizes the Ontario Arts Council definition of a professional artist: recognized as a professional practicing artist by other artists working in the same field, have completed basic training (formal or informal) in your field(s), spend a significant amount of time practicing your art and seek payment for your work.
Mentorship pairings will be finalized by a selection committee. The most successful mentoring partnerships are those in which the mentee takes the initiative and truly drives the partnership. Mentees should have the ability to accept constructive criticism and be receptive to feedback. They should be open to new experiences, personal growth, show initiative, and self-motivation.
About Arts Network Ottawa
Arts Network Ottawa knows how the Arts build strong communities. For more than 30 years, we have collaborated with communities to promote the creative, social and economic benefits of local Arts and will continue to do so. We provide an informed voice for a bilingual network, across the Ottawa region, of over 400 artists, cultural workers and arts organizations. As an arts service organization, we are an essential connection to opportunities, resources, programs and partnerships that advance careers and the sustainability of Ottawa’s arts community.
Arts Network Ottawa recognizes that the City of Ottawa was built on unceded Algonquin Anishinaabe Territory. The Arts Network also recognizes the diversity of Ottawa’s artists and residents and both official languages.
This program is made possible through the generous financial support of Canada Council for the Arts, and the Ontario Arts Council.
If applying online is a barrier, please contact Arts Network Ottawa for alternative arrangements (written/oral applications).
If you have any questions regarding your application contact us at:
Alex Maltby, Program Manager
Phone: 613-580-2767 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org