Location: Remote and/or at Shenkman Arts Centre, Ottawa (Orléans)
Period: September 28, 2020 to March 21, 2021
Salary: 30 hours per week at $16/hr
Arts Network Ottawa is pleased to offer an internship opportunity as Program Intern with support from Young Canada Works. The Program Intern will assist Arts Network in the planning and coordination of new initiatives and several ongoing programs designed to address the needs of the local arts community in the Ottawa region. The projects include: The Ottawa Arts Mentorship Program, Artpreneur Ottawa Conference, Neighbourhood Arts Ottawa, the Young Arts Leaders Collective, future COVID-19 Recovery initiatives, and similar programs or initiatives. The Intern will be an active member of the Arts Network Ottawa team in project delivery, in three key areas: programming, fundraising, and promotion.
Qualifications: Applicants must meet all Young Canada Works Internship program criteria:
An individual may be eligible for an internship if they:
- are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- are between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program;
- are unemployed or underemployed;
- are a college or university graduate;
- are not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with the program; and
- have not previously participated in or been paid under this or any other Career Focus internship program funded under the Government of Canada’s Youth Employment Strategy.
Additionally, applicants require:
- A passion for the arts
- University or College Diploma preferably in the areas of arts administration, marketing or a specific discipline (Visual Art, Multimedia, Theatre, Music)
- Communications skills in English and/or French
- Possess computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite and/or Google Docs platforms
- Commitment to a team environment and capable of working independently
- The successful candidate will also have experience dealing with the public, excellent verbal and written communication skills; superior interpersonal skills and the ability to demonstrate sound judgment
- Ability to prioritize and execute multiple tasks to timely and effective completion
- Ability to work remotely, including access to internet. A laptop may be provided for the intern’s use for the duration of the internship.
Gain valuable work experience:
This internship provides the opportunity to be involved and contribute to many of Arts Network Ottawa’s programs and initiatives. It will provide good knowledge and experience, including to:
- Work in a bilingual (English and French) membership-based arts service organization serving artists of all disciplines.
- Connect with our network of partner organizations, membership base, and leaders within the Ottawa arts community.
- Develop multi-tasking and project management skills and experience through mentorship by a team of experienced arts administrators in programming, marketing, and development.
- Familiarize with online project management and promotion strategies.
- Gain experience in art-related jury processes.
- Develop knowledge and experience in fundraising and sponsorship and potential experience in grant and proposal writing and reporting.
To apply please send your résumé and covering letter by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: September 16, 2020 11:59 p.m.
Arts Network Ottawa knows how the arts build strong communities. For more than 30 years, we continue to collaborate with communities to promote the creative, social and economic benefits of local arts. We provide an informed voice for a bilingual network of artists, cultural workers and arts organizations across the Ottawa region. As an arts service organization, we are an essential connection to opportunities, resources, programs and partnerships that advance careers and the sustainability of Ottawa’s arts community.
Arts Network Ottawa is an equal opportunity employer located in Shenkman Arts Centre. Our work is guided by these principles: equity, respect for artists, integrity, inclusiveness, engagement and collaboration. Arts Network Ottawa values and deeply appreciates applications from members of the Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour community. We prioritize these applications and strongly encourage members of our BIPOC community to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Although we strive to reach out individually to all applicants, sometimes, due to the high volume of applications, it is not possible to do so. Please be rest assured that your application will be reviewed thoroughly and carefully.
Arts Network Ottawa thanks Young Canada Works for funding received through Cultural Human Resources Council for this internship.