Arts Network Ottawa (formerly Arts Network Ottawa) invites visual artists to submit proposals for exhibitions at our exhibition space (formerly the AOE Gallery), located in Arts Network Ottawa’s offices, meeting space, and reception area. Note that the exhibition space is only open to the public during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm, and during Meet the Artist events.
Individual, duo, and artist collectives are encouraged to apply. The exhibition space can accommodate 2D and 3D works.
About Our Name Change
After 31 years serving the Ottawa region’s arts community, Arts Network Ottawa has changed its name to Arts Network Ottawa / Réseau des arts d’Ottawa. With a unanimous vote at our annual meeting, this new name aims to clarify our role as an arts service organization and to better reflect what we provide to those we serve across the region. As such, Arts Network Ottawa is currently in a transitional period, and a new name for our exhibition space formerly known as the AOE Gallery will be announced soon.
Arts Network Ottawa’s offices in the Shenkman Arts Centre double as the exhibition space, providing non-traditional space for Arts Network Ottawa members. The exhibition space is an opportunity for local emerging artists to participate in a juried exhibition season.
Deadline: Monday, October 1, 2018, at 5 p.m.
All applicants must:
- reside within a 75 km radius of Ottawa’s borders,
- be a member in good standing with Arts Network Ottawa,
- not have exhibited in a solo or duo exhibition in the 2016, 2017, or 2018 AOE Gallery seasons; and
- not have exhibited at the Shenkman Arts Centre in the past three (3) years.
Criteria for selection
Applications will be reviewed by a jury of arts professionals. The criteria for selection are:
- appropriate use of medium,
- consistent style or theme,
- knowledge of the elements and principles of art,
- appropriate use of the exhibition space; and
- 2D pieces must be ready to hang. *Please refer to our hanging guide.
- 2D artwork should be either on gallery canvas if not framed, framed if on regular canvas, or be matted & framed under glass if on paper. Other support should be discussed with Arts Network Ottawa.
- Artists must provide a plinth or appropriate display stands for 3D artwork.
- The exhibition space can accommodate a variety of canvas sizes.
- All submissions must include 10 images of artwork intended for exhibition. These images must be submitted as digital .jpeg or .jpg files and give a clear sense of the exhibit.
Advertising & Promotion
Arts Network Ottawa will create a poster, season pamphlet and social media (Facebook, Twitter) banners to promote all exhibits. Artists and groups are welcome to design their own materials; however, they must contain exhibition space information, all appropriate logos and be approved by Arts Network Ottawa before distribution.
Arts Network Ottawa will advertise to its members and subscribers through email, the Arts Network Ottawa website, social media, and the Shenkman Arts Centre website. Artists are encouraged to take full advantage of the media and promotion list and the promotional materials provided by Arts Network Ottawa. Arts Network Ottawa expects artists to promote their exhibits to their fullest capabilities.
By submitting a proposal for exhibition, Arts Network Ottawa is authorized to use images(s) of submitted work, or any part of the image(s), for promotional purposes.
Hanging of Artwork
- Arts Network Ottawa is responsible for all hangings and installations.
- Arts Network Ottawa reserves the right to select or refuse any submitted artwork.
- Artwork is to be delivered and picked up at a time specified by Arts Network Ottawa and agreed upon by the artist(s), typically during office hours.
- A final list of artworks must be provided before the show opens. Arts Network Ottawa will prepare labels for the artworks.
Solo or Duo Exhibits
- Artists should provide a selection of at least 20 pieces, or sufficient works to fill the space.
- Artists can apply as a duo exhibit.
- If a solo artist does not have enough works to fill the space, Arts Network Ottawa can pair said artist with another willing applicant.
- A duo show will be promoted and displayed as a single exhibition. If you are willing to be paired with another artist, or apply as a duo show, you will be required to select a single exhibition name.
- Umbrella organizations (incorporated or not) and artist collectives are eligible.
- Similarly to duo exhibitions, a group’s exhibit will be promoted and displayed as a single exhibition.
- The group should assign one main contact, who will be responsible for coordinating the exhibition with Arts Network Ottawa. They will also be responsible for overseeing the delivery and pickup of works, for approving the proofs of the promotional materials, signing the contract, and for returning to the artists any pieces remaining after the pick-up day.
- If groups would like to present awards during the Meet the Artist event, the group will be responsible for selecting the winner(s) once the exhibition is hung.
- Groups are responsible for selecting the artworks that will be on display for their group exhibition.
- Groups who wish to exhibit in our exhibition space must be an organization member of Arts Network Ottawa. Individual artists within the group are not required to be members.
One or two ‘Meet the Artist/Vernissage’ event(s) will be scheduled to take place on a Sunday afternoon from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m., or during a weekday evening from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m., and will coincide with other vernissages and events taking place in the Shenkman Arts Centre. The artist is welcome to lead an ‘Artist Talk’ about their work or prepare any other additional programming. The artist must advise the exhibition space coordinator if they are planning any additional programming during the Meet the Artist event.
Arts Network Ottawa will provide a table and tablecloth. The artist is responsible for providing the refreshments of their choice (i.e. desserts, fruits, cheese, crackers, juices etc.) The artist is also responsible for providing any required plates, cups, cutlery and napkins.
Arts Network Ottawa collects a 15% commission on all sales made through the exhibition space. Sold artwork must remain in the exhibition space until the end of the show. The artist can arrange for the buyer to pick-up the artwork at or after the close of the exhibition.
Process: The artist is responsible for handling all payment transactions. Arts Network Ottawa can facilitate the sale of artwork by communicating contact information between the artist and the buyer. It is the responsibility of the artist to pay Arts Network Ottawa the 15% commission within 30 days of the close of the exhibit.
Works of art exhibited in the exhibition space are covered by Arts Network Ottawa’s insurance policy while they are in the exhibition space. Arts Network Ottawa’s insurance policy does not cover artworks in transit to and from the exhibition space. Therefore, artists are encouraged to carry their own insurance policies.
For more information about the exhibition space, please contact Danielle Savoie, Membership and Program Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org, 613.580.2767.
IMPORTANT NOTES: You will not be able to save the form below and come back to it later. Please complete the answers to the form in a Word or other text processing program on your computer (and save it) before filling out the form on this page.
You also will not be able to retrieve the information on this form after it has been submitted. To obtain a copy, please email email@example.com and a copy will be emailed to you.
Sorry. This form is no longer available.