CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:
2019 -20 Shannon Reynolds Memorial Endowment Fund Internship at GCTCThe Shannon Reynolds Memorial Endowment Fund, in partnership with Ottawa’s Great Canadian Theatre Company (GCTC), supports Canadian artists that self-identify as female, through the provision of paid, mentored internships. Each year, the endowment supports an artist in a theatrical discipline, with a particular focus on production (lighting design, sound design, production design, carpentry, stage management and directing). The fund welcomes submissions from artists at the beginning of their careers as well as those branching into a new practice. It is dedicated to the creative development, peer recognition and professional support of Ottawa’s emerging artists.
Over a three-year cycle, this internship supports a director, designer, and production technician (one each season).
For the 2019-2020 season, we welcome submissions from applicants for a TECHNICAL PRODUCTION INTERN.
Applicants must be residents of the National Capital Region*.
The TECHNICAL PRODUCTION INTERN will:
- Participate on a practical learning and training basis under the guidance of the Production Manager, Technical Director and full time GCTC production crew over the course of two productions in GCTC’s 2019-20 Season
- Learn theoretical and hands-on approaches to fundamental theatre technical practices (Wardrobe, Set Construction, Props Building, Lighting, Sound, etc.)
- Be given the opportunity to specialize in one or more technical practices over the course of two Mainstage productions
- A basic understanding of technical theatre practices, safe working practices and procedures, and at least 6 instances of working backstage in a range of performance environments (e.g. professional or semi-professional theatre, dance, opera, community theatre, amateur production, indie theatre, Fringe, etc.)
- Training or education in theatre performance or technical theatre work is considered an asset
- All applicants must be prepared to learn in a hands-on capacity within a professional theatre environment, to observe and work alongside members of the International Association of Theatrical and Stage Employees (Local 471).
Special consideration will be given to individuals applying with an interest in areas of technical production in which female self-identifying workers are often unrepresented.
PAID INTERNSHIP AND HOURS:
- This is a paid internship, based on a flat hourly wage of $23/hr for approximately 190 hours (minus deductions), to be distributed throughout the months of February, March and April 2020
- Approximate distribution of hours: 30 hrs Training/Orientation, 80 Hours X 2 Mainstage Productions
- Work hours and shift times will be modelled within GCTC’s regular production schedule, which includes full day-time shifts as well as calls on some evenings and weekends
- A practical training schedule and distribution of internship hours will be tailored to the requirements and interests of the successful applicant.
To be considered for the 2019 – 20 internship, please submit an application package including the following information/material:
- A Cover Letter which includes a statement of interest in one (or more) technical fields. (500-1500 words)
- A Resume
- At least two references
We appreciate your efforts to package all of this information in a single document. Please save the document with the title “Shannon Reynolds Internship, your name”
Please submit the document electronically to: email@example.com
All applications will be reviewed by a committee of arts professionals, resident to National Capital Region.
Application deadline: Friday, September 6th 2019
Committee decision and announcement: not later than September 27th, 2019
*as defined by the National Capital Act